Radom Ad Generator

Discuss Malware removal, techniques, trends, etc. and repairing Windows after removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Radom Ad Generator

Postby rtdrumz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:33 am

This one is new to me. I just had a customer laptop that Chrome had random pop-ups. I ran all of the typical scans, cleanups, reset browsers, etc.... After finishing I opened Chrome and navigated to my support webpage to test. ** Again it has pop-ups** I opened Chrome Extensions and found "Random Ad Generator" Have you guys come across this? Why didn't ADW or any of the other cleanup utils not spot this thing?
rtdrumz

Re: Radom Ad Generator

Postby laplandz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Not being a dick with this reply, but it's gonna depend how you read it.... I would say because nothing's perfect, your question would be better suited to the developers of the programs you ran. It sounds like you did the right thing though, testing Chrome to check it and removing the extension manually. I've had to do this myself on a few occasions, than all of a sudden I notice one of the programmes does start to delete it. So I'd have to assume the Ad generator is just a new one not picked up yet. These plug-ins and extensions seem to come out every other day!? If you don't already, Ccleaner tools section lists all of the add-ons for the most popular browser's as well as startup items, etc.

Hope that helps.

Sent from Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: Radom Ad Generator

Postby bored369 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 am

Google's come out with a beta software removal tool, which scans a windows system for programs that may cause problems with google chrome. May be worth adding to your toolkit.

Here's google's help file for it:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6086368?hl=en

Also on our new dApps Member's Zone, we have it already available as a custom app, so you can easily integrate it into d7II.
More info on the dMZ here:
http://dsupportonline.com/dmz/
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Return to Malware Removal