CurrPorts on Steroids - Bot Revolt

Discuss Malware removal, techniques, trends, etc. and repairing Windows after removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

CurrPorts on Steroids - Bot Revolt

Postby GEGeek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 pm

OK Guys, I have another new program to submit to you for your perusal. Saw it posted on Windows Club today.
Bot Revolt Unfortunately they have a free and paid version of the program. I always prefer free when possible.
Haven't tried yet it but it looks interesting. Like CurrPorts on steroids. I may give it go later. I like the concept.
Something to play with if you're bored.

What’s interesting to know is that every cybersecurity organization across the world provide its own set of blacklist. Bot Revolt combines the list from all of the major and influential cyber security organizations into 1 major list and updates it daily, thereby protecting you from the latest threats (the feature is available only in paid version). Approximately 3000 entries are added each day! Furthermore, unlike firewalls that do not show you who is trying to access your computer, Bot Revolt shows you who is doing so and from where.
GEGeek - I don't reinvent the wheel, I just link to it.
http://www.gegeek.com
GEGeek

Re: CurrPorts on Steroids - Bot Revolt

Postby EagleTech » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Testing. Honestly not fond of the firewall aspect. Thanks for the find!

http://www.botrevolt.com/Confirmation-G ... Revolt.php
EagleTech

Postby GEGeek » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Hey np. I hear ya, but you never know.
Mike
GEGeek

Postby EagleTech » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 am

Initial findings... it is a mostly passive tool, so can be hard to gauge usefulness. Already had an issue this morning, though. It wouldn't allow me to connect to a couple of FTP sites. Adobe & F-Secure to be precise. As soon as I disabled it I could connect. No alert, no "hey you can't do that", it just didn't work.

Will test some more.
EagleTech

Postby GEGeek » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:46 am

Yeah well FTP sites would be expected. But did Bot Revolt tell you it blocked access to the ftp site or did you just realize it must be that? Because according to the quote from the site"
Furthermore, unlike firewalls that do not show you who is trying to access your computer, Bot Revolt shows you who is doing so and from where.

I'm assuming it is referring to both input/output. Anyway, it's great that you are testing it. Haven't had a chance yet myself. Looking forward to your review. Thanks
Mike
GEGeek

Postby EagleTech » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:29 am

Ok, so I couldn't take it anymore & uninstalled it.

1. No warnings or letting you know it was blocking something you are trying to access. (like above mentioned FTP)
  2. I set it to only log the bad things. Something would be in the log, a little while later, nothing. No, I did not clear the log.
  3. The free version wouldn't allow me to update. As in disabled function.

I'm now testing Spyware Blaster.
I've known about it for a long time but never used. It seems to basically do what Spybot S&D Immunize does.
EagleTech

Postby GEGeek » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Well I appreciate the feedback, saves us all a lot of time. Sorry it didn't work out for you. But you never know until you try.
As far as SpywareBlaster goes, if you can remember the manual updates, it should not give you the same issues. Pretty much install it and forget it, the way it should be.
Come to think of it, maybe there's a way around that manual update process with a batch file and task scheduler. lol another project .... Good luck with Spywareblaster
Mike
GEGeek

Postby Jones » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:19 am

We can not be sure about that,I mean its a bit hard to give a confident statement about that but yeah if they are on steroids than obviously that is a bad thing.
Anyways that isn't still something we are confident at it needs some homework.
Jones

Postby EagleTech » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 am

Jones wrote:We can not be sure about that,I mean its a bit hard to give a confident statement about that but yeah if they are on steroids than obviously that is a bad thing.
Anyways that isn't still something we are confident at it needs some homework.

Dafuq?

I call Bot.

Otherwise they need to put down whatever they are smokin'...
EagleTech

Return to Malware Removal