bug tracker log

Feature suggestions for d7x
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Start a new topic for a unique suggestion.
3. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

bug tracker log

Postby laplandz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:06 pm

would the possibility of a public/registered user view of this newly created "bug tracker" be feasible. This would surely allow the users to know what is being worked-on and possibly allow us all to +1 them so Nick had an idea of what we wanted most.

I'd personally appreciate this to be viewed by folk who have an active subscription, possibly within the program itself somewhere.

Another angle could be that the public can view the log, but active subscribers can +1 them.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: bug tracker log

Postby bored369 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:50 pm

We would like to do something like this but it's going to be something that will be in the future with unknown ETA. It's an idea that has been tossed around but it's been on the back burner for a couple reasons.

1. It's something that we're new to implementing internally and finding out how well it's going to work in general. It's main purpose right now is to for us to be able to provide a to do list for Nick to work on or look into further. Some general rules we try to follow when adding things are:
-for an issue to be added as a problem that needs to be fixed it has to be reproducible and confirmed by our own testing of the scenario
-for a feature request it needs to be something feasible or well thought out as to how everything will work with it exactly and why it would be a good item to focus on or think about adding.

2. Currently we have these forums for the public facing side and past any further questioning or internal talk, a update would be posted to the forum in question when it's resolved or at the least the issue will be noted fixed in the release notes. Plus if we get a number of responses on the post itself after it's been stated it's been added to the bug tracker that will be kinda like the +1 idea. I'll try to get in the habit of requesting people to post a plus one to the topic if they are also experiencing or like the idea of it.

It would be extremely nice for it to be integrated into the program itself and having a simple +1 button, but something like that will probably a fairly long way out.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 am

We actually haven't talked about it internally yet, but I've had ideas about that. Few things I'm considering.

First, the bug tracker we're using needs to be moved since it's the only thing left on that server, and it could live elsewhere to consolidate resources and free that up for other usage.

I personally want a public facing roadmap/board with bugs and features listed (with the ability to keep certain ones privately visible only to members of course) and I might like to see a voting feature or one to add notes, upload files maybe, also available only for members.

To do a private/subscriber only board like this won't be difficult, and we don't have a ton of stuff in our newly created bugtracker database to migrate (yet) so I feel like the sooner we investigate and move to a system capable of doing these things, the better (for the work involved in migration.)

The main issue is that it just isn't feasible to add all existing d7II subscribers to any type of private access via a member's area, since that would require a lot of manual effort to implement with existing subscription data. It is worth investigating some way of possibly importing the d7II accounts into a database but not sure about that and obviously depends on the system. This will most likely be done through the membership plugin on foolishit.com being used for dMZ subscribers (adding a new subscription level for all d7II subscribers allowing access only to this bugtracker type content.) It may just be that we plug it into new d7II subscriptions to assign access automatically, and just have existing d7II subscribers personally request access, via a d7II in-software submission or something, and we do it manually on a per-request basis for those interested parties.

I am looking at possibly using Trello for the actual tracker, but need to check more into it to see if it will fit our needs, especially with private access levels to interface with board items.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby laplandz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:23 pm

sounds good, I doubt folk would mind requesting access if needed, especially if it's only a one-time thing.

with the dmz login, do we need to/can we sign up as current d7ii subscribers without subscribing to the additional support options? (which I personally don't need or would gain much benefit from).

Sent from my ForwardXtreme using Tapatalk
.. ...
laplandz

Postby bored369 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:15 pm

You would be able to sign up as current d7II subscribers without having to subscribe to the additional support options. He just wants to try to use the same plugin that manages the dMZ members so we don't' have to add an addition section of users lists to manage.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby laplandz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:38 pm

awesome, reason for asking about dmz login was actually to ask whether we needed to sign up or, as an example, use our forum login details.
just didn't want to create a duplicate/unnecessary account, etc.

Sent from my ForwardXtreme using Tapatalk
.. ...
laplandz

Return to d7x Feature Suggestions