Move client to new ID?

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Move client to new ID?

Postby vmhs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 am

OK, so I have a client that pays me for 10 computers running dSS per month, but it seems he has 11 running it.

A neat thing would be to allow me from the Config Control panel in my office, grab one of the "non-allowed licenses" and give just that one PC a "this is bullshit" template with no features.

It would also allow us to be able to consolidate existing client IDs, if we choose to re-do the ID schemes.

For eg, the first few I installed were for ALDA - Computername, but now I just want them in ALDA - Workstation

I see it working like this:

If your ClientID is "ALDA - W6" and your Computer name is "frontdesk" then change your clientID to "ALDA - EXCEEDED USAGE RIGHTS"

vmhs

Re: Move client to new ID?

Postby csc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Hey vmhs,

I used to operate in a very similar way, and after deep consideration on how that would work I decided instead to assign a different client ID to every workstation. "Client" is meant to imply client vs server, and was not meant to refer to your customer. This removes the functionality of sending your customer a custom installer because they might use it more than once. Instead use a generic installation and install it every time yourself on your customers machines. This is easiest done through a remote support session.

For this reason I did not include your idea in the summary list, and as you'll notice if you read the older threads very similar ideas have been suggested before.

Thanks,
Ray
csc

Postby vmhs » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah., however, when i asked about individual id per PC, or customer, i was told just one per customer. 40 machines in, this gonna be fun :(

How awesome would it be to be able to reallocate clients to new IDs though.

Now that i need to redesign my client is allocations again, i get to sneak onto the customer machines and reinstall yet again.

Sigh
vmhs

Postby csc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Totally agree, I shared your frustration. It feels great once you're done switching over.
csc

Postby Sumerlove » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 am

Hi,

This is exceptionally decent and wonderful post.
I am very happy joined this forum.
I like it exceptionally much....!!!!
Thanks alot...
Sumer
Sumerlove

Postby Xander » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:17 am

OR don't deal with the symptom, deal with the problem.
Tell him he's running 11 and he ask him if he'd rather uninstall one or have his bill go up 10%. Wouldn't you rather make more money?
Xander

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions