Which Event Logs do you monitor?

Discuss marketing/selling dSupportSuite and your monitoring/maintenance plans and strategies; also share your usage / configuration tips for dSupportSuite here, or ask the community for theirs.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.

Which Event Logs do you monitor?

Postby csc » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:58 am

Hey,

I have been using the event log for notifications more and more, and I'm wondering which rules are popular or common rules to monitor. I currently monitor events sources Application Popup, Backup, CheckDisk, UPS, Windows Backup. I have not had success getting File History confirmations in Windows 8. What is everyone else monitoring with the event log?

Thanks,
Ray
csc

Re: Which Event Logs do you monitor?

Postby ccwhatley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I only monitor Windows System Events - unless the user has reported problems with anything else... Would be great if D7 could be setup to automatically e-mail me a CSV file the System Event log from each of my client's once per week and each of those files labeled with my Client's name.
ccwhatley

Postby xzmanya » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:58 am

File History confirmations in Windows 8..............
raza
xzmanya

Postby csc » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:07 am

How did you do this? I have not had success
csc

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:52 pm

ccwhatley wrote:I only monitor Windows System Events - unless the user has reported problems with anything else... Would be great if D7 could be setup to automatically e-mail me a CSV file the System Event log from each of my client's once per week and each of those files labeled with my Client's name.

dSS could do that (it doesn't, exactly, but it COULD) and I would like to add something like that thx!

I guess currently you can do it with a rule, and with realtime emails disabled and pick it up after a weekly maintenance, but it would be awkward to work with.

Dropped in because this is great thread content Ray and I'm hoping more participate, I would love to ultimately have a user maintained pool of rule sets somewhere.

I typically advise to NOT use dSS as a monitor like this for "everything" but its great for those specific and/or rare cases. I actually use dSS on a server I look after and I've only used it for a few rule alerts (and shut down unless and a few other minor bits of functionality.

Opening it up for more rules would be clunky for email alerting, especially across a lot of workstations. I did want to encourage these conversations because some things I want to work on are other methods of alerting and managing those alerts, which would of course open up a lot of possibilities.

Sent via mobile; plz excuse errors!
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:52 pm

ccwhatley wrote:I only monitor Windows System Events - unless the user has reported problems with anything else... Would be great if D7 could be setup to automatically e-mail me a CSV file the System Event log from each of my client's once per week and each of those files labeled with my Client's name.

dSS could do that (it doesn't, exactly, but it COULD) and I would like to add something like that thx!

I guess currently you can do it with a rule, and with realtime emails disabled and pick it up after a weekly maintenance, but it would be awkward to work with.

Dropped in because this is great thread content Ray and I'm hoping more participate, I would love to ultimately have a user maintained pool of rule sets somewhere.

I typically advise to NOT use dSS as a monitor like this for "everything" but its great for those specific and/or rare cases. I actually use dSS on a server I look after and I've only used it for a few rule alerts (and shut down unless and a few other minor bits of functionality.

Opening it up for more rules would be clunky for email alerting, especially across a lot of workstations. I did want to encourage these conversations because some things I want to work on are other methods of alerting and managing those alerts, which would of course open up a lot of possibilities.

Sent via mobile; plz excuse errors!
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby csc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Hey Nick,

AJ sent me this link earlier and I thought it would be great for you to look at while you're re-writing dSupportSuite. It would be great if it could use this service by default (makes my alert database useless, but hey thats progress).

https://www.checkcentral.cc/

Thanks,
Ray
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Usage and Resale Tips & Strategies