Setup Options

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
d7II is no longer supported. Please update to d7x! (This is included in your d7II subscription!)

Setup Options

Postby Brandonr91 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Information: D7ii v3.5.58

OS - Tried on all (Win xp through 10 - X86 & X64)

I have two config questions that I've been trying to solve myself.

1 - I've set D7 2 to startup with the Startup Options Window Dialogue - However, the default options I'd like to see don't stick

Solution I need: 1a) Make it so that my options stick (Download Cloud Config + Override Local DefS) or the ability to Download Cloud Config + Override Local DefS during a normal D7ii startup without Startup Options Menu.

2 - Killem has inconstant auto functions. In example.. If I run KIA in Malware removal section (checked at top, not in list) the KIA opens, runs, and closes all on its on when it is done. However, if KIA is running before full D7ii launch or as an app in ANY list (maintenance in my case), the app opens, but does not automatically run - It only opens and I need to click Start KIA and then close it when it is done. ]

Solution I need: - Consistent (option possibly?) KIA running where it automatically runs / kills / closes no matter where I am calling the function from (Malware, Maintenance, pre-startup DY7ii, etc..)

Any assistance of future addition for the above would be fantastic!

Thanks
Attachments
D7_II_Startup_Options.png
Image in case image in text can't be viewed.
D7_II_Startup_Options.png (13.15 KiB) Viewed 3086 times

Brandon R, Manager
Brandonr91

Re: Setup Options

Postby xide » Wed May 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Can't help with number 2, but maybe I can with number 1.

I never considered using the startup menu everytime, so I had to enable it in the config. I didn't see any of the options available that is pictured above in the main config where I enabled this mode. Were you expecting to select the options from the startup screen itself and expect them to save when you click Start d7ii? I'm 99% sure it doesn't work like that. If those options are in the config in proximity with the options to use the startup screen, then yes they should stick, however I couldn't find these options in the config at all, if I missed them please let me know so I can attempt to duplicate the issue. If it just isn't designed like that then I would suggest posting this feature in the suggestions so it can go under review to be added.

I hope this helps in someway.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Brandonr91 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:36 pm

xide wrote:Can't help with number 2, but maybe I can with number 1.

I never considered using the startup menu everytime, so I had to enable it in the config. I didn't see any of the options available that is pictured above in the main config where I enabled this mode. Were you expecting to select the options from the startup screen itself and expect them to save when you click Start d7ii? I'm 99% sure it doesn't work like that. If those options are in the config in proximity with the options to use the startup screen, then yes they should stick, however I couldn't find these options in the config at all, if I missed them please let me know so I can attempt to duplicate the issue. If it just isn't designed like that then I would suggest posting this feature in the suggestions so it can go under review to be added.

I hope this helps in someway.

The start up menu is not the only way to do this. There is in fact an option in the config to run Killem'all prior the the full launch of D7II without having to use the startup options dialogue as pictured above in my OP.

I order to get KIA to launch prior to or along side D7II you must go to config >> custom apps >> Then at the bottom of the main entry for custom apps is the section called "Auto Run", below this is a selectable section called "d7II startup" - It is here you would add KIA as a custom app that would launch during the launch of d7II. See screen shot below for reference.

It is here I'd like to custom script KIA to automatically run against the whitelist I have configured, kill non white listed apps, and then close itself so I can proceed directly to my routine in d7II without having to manually click "Start Killem All" in the KIA box. It might seem lazy, but every step of automation leads to better, quicker, more thorough results.
Attachments
d7II_KIA_Statup_Config.png
d7II_KIA_Statup_Config.png (139.12 KiB) Viewed 3072 times

Brandon R, Manager
Brandonr91

Postby xide » Wed May 13, 2015 8:15 pm

I said I can only try to help with question 1 which didn't involve Killem all. You only asked about making the default settings stick for question 1. There is a killem all option with system mode at the bottom, but that should only be used in extreme circumstances (system mode that is)

As for the killem all at autostart, that's rather clever to do. I'm going to play with that idea tonight and let you know if I come up with anything.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Brandonr91 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm

xide wrote:I said I can only try to help with question 1 which didn't involve Killem all. You only asked about making the default settings stick for question 1. There is a killem all option with system mode at the bottom, but that should only be used in extreme circumstances (system mode that is)

As for the killem all at autostart, that's rather clever to do. I'm going to play with that idea tonight and let you know if I come up with anything.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to respond to the first question response I received from you! I just wanted to give you my KIA suggestion / how to do it for possible future updates, or to be informed of how it could be done if currently possible. And yes, you cannot make those options stick... it is something I realized during my hours of playing with the config today on my VM test bed. However, my suggestion / idea would ultimately lead to result I'm looking for and quite possibly help many others...

Brandon R, Manager
Brandonr91

Postby xide » Thu May 14, 2015 1:19 pm

It's a brilliant idea which I would like to implement in my setup. I got a big headache last night so hopefully I can try tonight on my vm. If you figure it out before me please let me know.
xide

Postby Brandonr91 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:49 pm

xide wrote:It's a brilliant idea which I would like to implement in my setup. I got a big headache last night so hopefully I can try tonight on my vm. If you figure it out before me please let me know.

It seems to work with inconsistent results. I've since disabled the startup options menu and have it configured such that KIA runs right before d7ii full opens. However, sometimes it automatically kills apps. SOmetimes it doesn't and I must click manually.

Two suggestions at this point...

1 - Have any window that d7II opens / calls / summons open off to the left or right of d7II so it does not accidentally hide behind dy7ii (KIA, D7 uninstall, info reports, etc - all windows d7 opens). This should also include dialogue boxes directly related to d7.

2 - Add automation to KIA can be configured with a) time b) auto close or stay open, c) open on system hangs if closed and run . All these options I am suggesting must be user defined and configurable so that we can fully customize KIA (and potentially all realted d7II apps!!!)!

Brandon R, Manager
Brandonr91

Return to d7II Support Forum