User accounts at login have gone

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

User accounts at login have gone

Postby CSHTech » Tue May 26, 2015 11:23 am

Hi

I'm using D7II (3.5.58) on a Vista Home Premium laptop with 4 user accounts.

Having disinfected using D7II with Autologin, after disabling the Autologin feature when closing D7II down I now only get the user account that was used during that D7II autologin session - the other 3 user accounts no longer appear at the login screen.

I've re-run D7II and re-ticked 'Disable Autologin', but no change.

When running 'control userpasswords2' there is only the one account showing. Similarly when going to control panel > user accounts, selecting 'manage another account' only shows the user account (plus guest) - none of the other 3 accounts. Having said that, when selecting 'Advanced User Profile Properties' on the left hand side it shows all 4 accounts!

The 4 user accounts are visible in the Windows Explorer file system and also when running Fabs backup.

I'm assuming it's a Registry issue but I'd very much appreciate some help with where to go next, thanks. :?

Chris
CSHTech

Re: User accounts at login have gone

Postby Xander » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 am

If you log in as Admin, what do you get when you do a net user _accountname_ ?
Xander

Postby CSHTech » Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply Xander.

For quickness I've attached a screenshot when running that with one of the missing usernames. Thanks.

Chris
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
CSHTech

Postby CSHTech » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Further info - created a new account which does appear on the login screen alongside the above account, so it seems to be something flagged against the 3 accounts that are missing.
CSHTech

Postby Xander » Tue May 26, 2015 8:30 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like the accounts have been hidden/deactivated but not deleted. If you reverse the steps here (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/wi ... _users.htm), are the accounts listed and un-hideable?
Xander

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:31 am

Sorry I had the answer here and haven't been around in a while myself.

Not sure what actually happened with your situation, but the resolution is probably this:

In d7II, click the Users menu, then the Internal User Account Mgmt option (see pic)

users_menu-2.png
users_menu-2.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 4744 times

You *should* see even these invisible users that you aren't seeing in Windows user management mechanisms. They also probably have the "Hide User from Login Screen" option checked (see pic) which is why I suspect that was your issue - uncheck the ones you want to see on the login screen and manage in Windows.

internal_user_mgmt-2.png
internal_user_mgmt-2.png (12.88 KiB) Viewed 4744 times

This feature within d7II manipulates the registry key (below) which can be used to hide user accounts from the login screen (or used to be the official method used for Windows internal purposes pre-Win 8 I believe, though it still works.)

Code: Select all
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Basically adding a DWORD there with the username will hide that user from the Windows login screen (and other management mechanisms like Control Panel > Users or the classic userpasswords2.cpl) while still allowing services and code dependent on those user accounts to function.

I'm thinking this area of d7II should be the only area within d7II which manipulates this registry key, so without using it specifically I'm not sure how/why this happened to you if it was some result of d7II or a 3rd party custom app you might have been using in conjunction with d7II, but stranger things have happened -- just please let us know if this has occurred again for you or does in the future and we can look more closely at the details of the situation.

Again I realize I'm late to this particular party, but just throwing the info out there for anyone else who may run into the issue.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to d7x Support Forum