Driver updaters

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Driver updaters

Postby FredClaus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 pm

What is your feeling on Driver update programs? I've used Iobit Driver booster, and Snappy's SDI Origin in the past. One time Snappy messed up a computer because I picked the wrong driver and I broke the keyboard function.

Are these tools worth using? I don't purchase the paid versions, I use the free ones but I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good by using them. Especially when one program tells me all my drivers are up to date and another one tells me that I have a driver that could be updated. Is this something that is done automatically in Windows updates anyway?

Fred
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: Driver updaters

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 pm

I've never used them myself, they just don't appeal to me. Of course, I have a different take on drivers... I feel the older ones have a better chance at being more stable, especially with video drivers -- this trend was more than a feeling a few years back. Honestly I also feel like with rare exception video drivers are all that really matter, and really only if you're a gamer.

As for the last question with most drivers being submitted to Microsoft for Windows update, in Windows 10 they are updated after a time when the driver gets a little age on it, assuming you don't stay up to date with the manufacturer yourself.

For example I have found that if I don't update my video card driver regularly Microsoft will do it for me, and they don't seem to follow Windows update notification rules either because I've had my system reboot for a driver update while in the bathroom and away for several minutes, as well as while working actively on it Windows rebooted in the middle of my typing code once, only to receive the update notice after the restart. Nice, Microsoft, real nice...

All that being said, it's nice I guess for a customer to get a list of things done including the word "update" for Windows and drivers and such. Makes them feel like something's being done I guess.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Driver updaters

Postby FredClaus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

I just noticed you answered this message a month ago. I guess I need to learn how to use the "New Posts" button more often. Thanks for the information. I learn more here than I ever have elsewhere.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Return to General Chat