Ninite

Discuss Custom Apps used with d7x/dSupportSuite.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x/dSupportSuite version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Re: Ninite

Postby bitznpcz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 am

Can D7x be reconfigured to work with PatchMyPC as this now supports offline updates and is a lot better than when D7 first came out. Or chocolatey.org is another option.

I don't pay for Ninite as there are other free alternatives out there these days...
bitznpcz

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 am

bitznpcz wrote:Can D7x be reconfigured to work with PatchMyPC as this now supports offline updates and is a lot better than when D7 first came out.

PatchMyPC is already a custom app in d7x but it wasn't working, the download URL had changed. I've updated that default app now, and your default apps should update themselves at the start of any new d7x session. Search the default apps for PatchMyPC and you'll find both a standard/manual and an Auto config to run it automatically (you should use the standard/manual profile to configure it to your preference first, then you can use the Auto profile in auto modes).
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:53 am

I use PatchMyPC all the time now, and it works great for me.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am

I should add, for the PatchMyPC custom apps update just released...

Default apps are managed automatically, and will update at the start of any new session with internet access.  You can force update through the "Main" drop down menu and "Check for Updates" (although the update is performed, you will receive a message that no APPLICATION updates were found.)

You can tell it is the new PatchMyPC config if you right-click and configure app, you will notice the website reflects PatchMyPC.com (new) instead of PatchMyPC.net (old)
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby borkedpc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:06 pm

I've used Ninite One & Pro for years. It has saved me a ton of time which makes me $$$$.

Here's my typical usage:
- I have both full offline installers and regular installers with basic programs bundled in one installer. (Java, Chrome, Firefox, 7-zip, etc). This gets put on any computer that gets a fresh OS or a new computer I build. One click, multiple tasks done at once.
- I use NiniteOne as part of dSS to update installed programs. 90% of the time it's things like Java, Chrome, FF, iTunes, LibreOffice, etc). The Heartbeat report is great for keeping up on what's being used and updated.
- I also use NiniteOne as a script in our CRM (RMM) to run a couple times a week just in case there is an issue with dSS or if the client cancelled the program.
-For corporate service contracts I use Ninite Pro which gives me a lot more options on what I want to install/update for them. The ability to have policies is a great feature.
-Inside d7x I have a bunch of Ninite installers. You never know when you will need to fix or reinstall a program when cleaning up the sludge. One such installer inside d7x launches NiniteOne and tells me what needs to be updated. This is for regular Tune up scenarios.

Overall this program has saved me countless hours.
borkedpc

Previous

Return to Custom Apps Discussion