Is Antivirus Dead?

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Is Antivirus Dead?

Postby FredClaus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Check out this whitepaper that MalwareBytes put out. I haven't finished it but it looks intesting so far. What do you think? Do we need antivirus on our computers now?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_6Ohnf ... sp=sharing
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: Is Antivirus Dead?

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:45 pm

The article is dated 2016 but I would argue it isn't accurate or relevant for even 1996 in some ways. They accuse traditional anti-virus of being signature based only and exclaim the need for heuristics. Umm... hasn't traditional A/V been using heuristics for decades or were they lying to us all this time? That's outright nonsense.

They talk about this layered approach with different products, and behold Malwarebytes makes all of those products and sells it in one package. Hmm, smells fishy. Malwarebytes is really trying to be A/V under a new name, or rather several new product names, so it sells better.

IMHO that's a partial info/partial MISinformation piece designed to pimp their newer Malwarebytes Endpoint Security as a traditional A/V endpoint security replacement. There's that whole bit in there explicitly stating that this big company did just that (or maybe they didn't replace the traditional A/V but added to it, this is unclear) and now their IT department is doing nothing all day. The article is way to pretend they aren't slinging mud at one specific A/V (that this company replaced with Malwarebytes and is now doing so well) but instead they get to insult ALL traditional A/V companies in one shot. Maybe their product is better than the nameless A/V that company replaced with Malwarebyes, but Windows 10 probably has more to do with it than anything.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Is Antivirus Dead?

Postby FredClaus » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Glad I posted this for everyones thoughts. The first thing that turned me off is their quote from John McAfee. Do they know he's a wack job? I figured that most of what they said was to boost their product, but I didn't know it was this bad.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Return to Business Stuff