D7 and instanthousecall

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

D7 and instanthousecall

Postby quicktech » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Instanthousecall.com currently uses a form of D7 I presume as part of their remote software program. Is this the same suite as the tech automated software? I was going to pay to have that added to my account but I need to know if I would be better getting it directly from foolish myself? Exactly which one of the many suites should I get since I do remote repair and maintenance?
quicktech

Re: D7 and instanthousecall

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:08 pm

quicktech wrote:Instanthousecall.com currently uses a form of D7 I presume as part of their remote software program. Is this the same suite as the tech automated software? I was going to pay to have that added to my account but I need to know if I would be better getting it directly from foolish myself? Exactly which one of the many suites should I get since I do remote repair and maintenance?

Yes, I do currently provide Instant Housecall subscribers with a special version of d7 for their usage, which can only be used within Instant Housecall remote sessions. This is an exclusive deal and you won't find it with other remote support providers.

Obviously if you do any bench or local repair jobs, you'll want to purchase d7 from me (not necessarily instead of, but perhaps in addition to Instant Housecall.) If you do remote support only, and you are already an Instant Housecall user, then it would appear there really is no reason for you to purchase from me. However if you have not yet chosen a remote support software package or are considering one other than Instant Housecall, you'll want to read on.

There are a few differences between the version of d7 I release, and the one I provide to Instant Housecall. First, the Instant Housecall version is usually quite far behind my latest release. Whereas I typically update d7 several times a WEEK with minor fixes and new features, Instant Housecall d7 users only see updates as they are necessary for proper functionality. This can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing, depending on whether or not I released a sweet new feature, or whether I inadvertently released a bug (which I'm ashamed to say does happen from time to time.) The current version of d7 available to Instant Housecall users is v10. The second difference is that Instant Housecall versions of d7 integrate with the Instant Housecall software for a few unique benefits, such as automatically saving your configuration for d7 right to your PC and transferring that onto the remote systems before usage, and also right clicking on a file and selecting "Google This" will open up a Google search on your PC, not the remote PC - and that is a pretty sweet feature IMO. Finally, the last major difference is that I do not support the Instant Housecall version of d7 here, that is handled entirely by Instant Housecall.

If you use a different remote support software package, then I would recommend getting d7 with a dCloud subscription. d7 with dCloud is the ultimate remote support combination in this case. The dCloud subscription provides you with a method to quickly and easily get the full d7 package onto the remote system with your saved d7 configuration, logo customizations, and definition files - and a method to easily save these configurations back to dCloud for usage on your next job, just like using it with Instant Housecall.

Also if you purchase d7 from me, a dCloud subscription is required for continuous d7 product updates, other than major bug fixes, which are always provided free of charge. The current d7 Premium version is v10.0.18, while the most current version available to dCloud users is v10.1.39.

If I can answer any other questions feel free to post away, or email me.

Thanks!
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby quicktech » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm

I tried to email you but I saw no email address or email feature on your site.
I am a computer repair service which I have a repair shop, I also do remote virus removals, optimizations, diagnostics etc, I want to start getting my clients to do monthly maintenance plans to go along with my business clients as well which I use cloud based Symantec endpoint small business which I also have the ability to maintain that has well. I don't want to spend anything unnecessarily for this by purchasing redundant products....your thoughts?
quicktech

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm not sure what thoughts I can give you beyond what I already have. It's really very simple, if you use Instant Housecall and you only do remote work, then there is no need to purchase from me. If you don't use Instant Housecall, and/or you do bench work, then I would recommend purchasing d7 + dCloud. If you have another question I'll be glad to answer it!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby quicktech » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Nick wrote:Contact: http://www.foolishit.com/contact/

I'm not sure what thoughts I can give you beyond what I already have. It's really very simple, if you use Instant Housecall and you only do remote work, then there is no need to purchase from me. If you don't use Instant Housecall, and/or you do bench work, then I would recommend purchasing d7 + dCloud. If you have another question I'll be glad to answer it!

I do remote and bench work (store front) is what I'm saying. I do use instanthousecalls and I would like to do monthly maintenance so maybe I should just get the add on for IHC for those who are not under the maintenance plan and use dSupportSuite... that may work as well right?
quicktech

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Yes, dSupportSuite is for maintenance and would be installed on your client's PCs and scheduled to run whenever you wish. But it is not a portable app like d7 and can't just run on a PC without installation and prior configuration. It is more for you reselling to your clients as part of an automated maintenance plan. Please read more into it at http://www.foolishit.com/dsupportsuite/

I don't know if your Instant Housecall plan includes d7 or not - I was under the impression that all plans did but I may be mistaken. Are you saying it is it an add-on? Or am I just confusing myself?

I think that since you perform bench work you will definitely want my version of d7, and I'm sure anyone here would back that up as a 'must have.' Whether or not you already have it included in your Instant Housecall plan, my version may be used for remote support as well if necessary. But that is up to you -- I don't think it would be considered redundant if you had Instant Housecall's version of d7 included, but also purchased my version for bench work, but that's just me because personally I don't touch a PC (remote or bench) without running d7 on it to start off with.

Nick
Site Admin

Return to General Chat