remote desktop

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

remote desktop

Postby xide » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am

I could have sworn I have seen this topic before, but after searching I can't seem to find it.

Basically I was wondering if anyone has a solution to use D7 in a remote desktop situation for when you are working on a client computer via software such as aammy or logmein.
I'd hate to have to transfer the entire folder to the client pc in order to use D7, but I can't think of any other method.

Thanks for your help!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: remote desktop

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 am

Create a dCL_SFX.exe file, transfer and unpack it. It's less than 300kb so it's a pretty fast transfer.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 am

Sorry in case you didn't know, you create the SFX from within d7's main menu.
Mitch

Postby wmmiller » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 am

@ xide,
Take a look at this. It may be helpful to you in answering your question. I use 7-Zip 9.22 Bata to create a self-extracting .exe that I then transfer to the remote computer and then download the tools I want to use from the remote computer. The extracting file that I transfer is 7.84MB in size. I hope this helps.
Bill

http://foolishtech.com/search.php?keywords=sfx&fid%5B0%5D=23

You can find 7zip here.

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=7-Zip+9.22+

Edit: I don’t create my self-extracting .exe from within d7, but that’s how I do it. The above methods work great as well.
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Xander » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Mitch wrote:Sorry in case you didn't know, you create the SFX from within d7's main menu.

The one from D7's main menu creates an SFX from the *entire* D7 folder and subfolders. The one from the dCloud console is the little one.

Edit: If you want to make a little one without dCloud, you'd have to work from an essentially-empty D7 setup.
Xander

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 pm

@Xander, you're right, thanks for the correction.
Mitch

Postby xide » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks guys, that really helps alot actually. I will just slim mine down and make that sfx file, I didn't think of that.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 am

xide wrote:Thanks guys, that really helps alot actually. I will just slim mine down and make that sfx file, I didn't think of that.

I recommend deleting everything but your config/scripts directory, and d7.exe - delete all other dirs/files. The launch d7.exe, let it re-download exactly what it needs, and when it comes up then create the full SFX.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah that should slim mine down a bit.....mine is currently 14GB, and thats after I slimmed it down from 18 over the weekend. lol, so you can see why I didn't want to transfer that kind of size on a remote support call.
xide

Return to d7x Support Forum