Windows 9

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Windows 9

Postby xide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 pm

So i was bored and did some searching for windows 9, I came across some articles and a couple of short videos. Looks promising, looks like it will easier for the end user to navigate than Windows 8. I'm sure all of you have plenty of clients coming in complaining about Windows 8.

Has anyone else heard any news on it? I hear the release date should be between Q4 of 2014 - Q2 of 2015. What are your opinions? Even opinions on Windows 8...do you have any tips you give your clients on Windows 8 to help them out? Me personally I install classic shell for them and they seem to be happy with that.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on Windows 9 and 8
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Windows 9

Postby Xander » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:08 pm

I've been installing Classic Shell and leaving them a PDF of Dell's "Windows 8 for Dummies".
http://marketing.dell.com/Global/FileLi ... -ebook.pdf

Got links for the videos you've seen?
Xander

Postby xide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 pm

lol didn't know dell had that pdf.

Here are a couple of the videos I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5MAIQOz5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0FiZeXkMw

Looks better than 8 IMO, but I can still see some users getting confused by it
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Marshall » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:00 pm

For the most part all I am finding is "Concept" attempts at a Windows 9 platform. Although the first link you posted xide was EPIC, and made me want to switch to that guys version of Windows 9 immediately! Unfortunately it was just a concept, and he's apparently hoping Microsoft contacts him and maybe even offers him a job.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby xide » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:27 pm

....I can't believe I didn't realize that was a "concept" video :oops:

I did see that someone had some speculation about windows 9 may come in different flavors such as tablet version, laptop version, desktop version. Kinda makes sense, when I saw 8 for the first time, mainly the metro screen I thought to myself...This belongs on tablets and phones...things that you have a touch screen that you can swipe with. Touching the corners, swiping the metro all made sense for touch screen. That's how it looks to me at least, looks like the non-touch screen users were an after thought and they were like "yeah lets give it to them too...change the metro ui for them? the hell with that, lets get this thing shipped already! Bill gates needs an aircraft carrier by Christmas!"

The guy did mention a strange pattern
Win ME - didn't do great
Win XP - awesome, solid OS
Vista - didn't do so great
win 7 - Awesome! solid OS
win 8 - not doing so great, confusing standard users
win 9 - ???
xide

Postby hello_kitty » Mon May 05, 2014 6:22 am

I can't say anything about Windows 8 I still have Windows 7 and I'm really satisfied with its stability.
hello_kitty

Postby und3rtak3r » Tue May 27, 2014 12:15 am

For the first time since the Developers release of Win 8 I am happy to use win 8.1 with the April Update and use it without add-ons like Classic shell. I do not know if I have finally been beaten into submission or they have finally released an interface that works better.
This is not saying that I think it is super or you-beaut.. My wish for Win 9 is to have a "Service mode" or "Admin Gui" - the other crap is fine for users to update their "Facebook Status" or "Read the latest Tweets" and use many cloud apps... but when you are working under the hood Win 8 Sucks like a Hoover on heat (hoover being a brand of Vacuum cleaner in Aus), on par with Vista?
One good thing: I use the keyboard MORE than ever before, well since Win XP: Windows-S application name, Right Click admin.... nada nada..
Bad thing about it?... Try to do the same in Win 7.. yerg! ( I do too much out of habit)

Bad thing about Win 8... No basic hint guides with new PC's, it was/is up to US to help the new users. I thought I had read everything.. still finding new stuff .. the hell?

If you have not trawled Gegeeks site yet.. I recommend it too you as soon as you can... wish at times that I had spent more time there a year or so back.

When Win 9 (or what ever name they bless it with) arrive we will have haters.. There will be many migrating from XP, more from Vista and 7 who had only ever heard how bad Win 8 was, and expect Win 9 to be like a fairy haven utopia of all the nice bits of XP, and 7 ..
What I do know.. What ever Redmond releases.. how good or bad it is.. how smooth or how confusing the interface.. The Malware writers ALREADY BE INFECTING MACHINES.. AND WE need to be prepared for whatever the onslaught..
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Postby shea123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:03 pm

It looks like Windows 10 is coming... http://www.computerworld.com/article/26 ... ogram.html
shea123

Postby Xander » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 pm

shea123 wrote:It looks like Windows 10 is coming... http://www.computerworld.com/article/26 ... ogram.html

I think it's safe to say that, in a forum full of technicians that we're all probably aware that Win10 "is coming". Some of us have been running the preview for a while now.

(I say this because you're three posts have been rapid fire, vague and (as a moderator here) look like the sort of things from someone who is waiting to drop some spam on us)
Xander

Postby laplandz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Xander wrote:(I say this because you're three posts have been rapid fire, vague and (as a moderator here) look like the sort of things from someone who is waiting to drop some spam on us)

haha, i thought this too, figured it might be 'Trevor' who ate his apple and got bored with his etch-a-sketch, that was until i noticed he wished Nick a happy Birthday!
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Return to General Stuff