Remote access payments

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Remote access payments

Postby xide » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:41 am

I was thinking of offering remote access to my customers so I don't have to travel for a virus removal. My question is how is everyone charging to do this? Do you just send an invoice? I don't trust people much so that kinda worries me that they will just ignore my request for payment. I was thinking there may be a way to do some sort of paypal payment, but should I just do a flat rate or by the hour?

I would really love to hear (read) everyone's methods to do this because i'm really not sure of the best way....and to make sure i'm getting paid. :D
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Remote access payments

Postby wmmiller » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:59 am

You could do what these guys do. http://dsupportonline.com/what-we-do/
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Xander » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Almost every remote job I do is for an existing customer. Some are on my Constant Care (RMM) plan and some of those have a credit card on file.

I bill a half-hour minimum and quarter-hours after that. I invoice by email and most just pop a cheque into the mail or click a paypal link in the email.

I just decided recently that, those that ARE on my RMM subscription plan and have a credit card on file, I will bill those folks on a quarter-hour minimum. That's only about 15 people right now but I'm going to use that as a nudge-point to get more folks on to it.
Xander

Postby xide » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Ok now my next question after thinking of worse case scenarios....Do any of you have some sort of agreement they have to sign? Perhaps electronically? When I have a customer visit my store I have a disclaimer they have to sign in case they try to accuse me of anything (Someone claimed I removed their $10,000 greeting card program which costs about $10 at walmart and expected me to pay for it) that was my only case but I like to keep all my bases covered just in case.

Xander, I like the sound of your subscription plan. If you don't mind could you elaborate on that? Do they pay a monthly fee and you will remote repair at no additional charge? Again if you don't mind what kind of price are you charging for this subscription? I am assuming this subscription is included with dSS.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby xide » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:59 am

So I just went to PayPal and was creating an invoice template, and noticed there is a terms and conditions box. Meaning there I can put it my "protect my ass conditions" with the added line "by submitting the payment you agree to these terms and conditions" at the end ...I think that would do the trick. It's also nice that they give me an area to write a message to the client so that I can state was type of work will be performed and what kind of time to expect. For those of you not using PayPal for an invoice I recommend you checking it out at least, it's rather nice and a convenient/safe way for them to pay in my opinion. You can also save different "items" in case you offer multiple services. Such as Virus removal, Training/teaching, software installation, etc. Not sure how much of a cut PayPal plans to take out yet, but I plan to adjust my prices accordingly.
xide

Postby Xander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:17 pm

xide wrote:Xander, I like the sound of your subscription plan. If you don't mind could you elaborate on that? Do they pay a monthly fee and you will remote repair at no additional charge? Again if you don't mind what kind of price are you charging for this subscription? I am assuming this subscription is included with dSS.
I pre-bill quarterly and it's only $10/mo ($13 w/AV). I'm using GFI. More often than not, this is an upsell so I'm not using dSS as I don't want to say "Now just hold on while I create a custom installer."
So, $10/mo doesn't cover any repairs -- granted, if it's a 1-min quick fix, I'll throw that in. I'm always looking at ways to make it more appealing and am in the process of including Unchecky/Malwarebytes AntiExploit/Cryptoprevent and a few others. For remote, I do a half-hour minimum bill and have just decided that the subscribers who keep a credit card on file will get 15-min minimum billing as an incentive.
Xander

Postby EagleTech » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 pm

We get a credit card up front & put a hold for an hour of time. If the session doesn't last a whole hour (most don't), then run the card for the proper amount.
EagleTech

Postby xide » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 am

Xander wrote:Almost every remote job I do is for an existing customer. Some are on my Constant Care (RMM) plan and some of those have a credit card on file.

I bill a half-hour minimum and quarter-hours after that. I invoice by email and most just pop a cheque into the mail or click a paypal link in the email.

I just decided recently that, those that ARE on my RMM subscription plan and have a credit card on file, I will bill those folks on a quarter-hour minimum. That's only about 15 people right now but I'm going to use that as a nudge-point to get more folks on to it.

I have a new/similar idea. It sounds like it may be much like your "Constant Care plan" I was thinking of setting things up where they pay such amount ($10-15 sounds good) so that I can provide an extra protection of service meaning that I will remote repair to fix any issues (limit 1 per month) now I have been racking my brain on how to set this sort of thing up. I need someway for them to subscribe to a monthly fee (i'm thinking paypal is my best bet) but after they leave my store, they may not follow through and subscribe with my software already on there (possibly dSS or I was even thinking of making my own using the inno setup Nick has provided) I think I'm mainly concerned about the initial first payment at this point, which will also subscribe them at the same time.

So any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
xide

Return to Business Stuff